The above video details how to make a healthy chocolate smoothie bowl.
Need to Know Facts About Cocoa
Cocoa is thought to have first been used by the Maya civilization of Central America.
It was introduced to Europe by Spanish conquerors in the 16th century and quickly became popular as a health-promoting medicine.
Cocoa powder is made by crushing cocoa beans and removing the fat or cocoa butter.
Today, cocoa is most famous for its role in chocolate production. However, modern research has revealed that it does indeed contain important compounds that can benefit your health (listed below).
Key Health and Nutrition Benefits of Cocoa Powder
- Rich in polyphenols, which have significant health benefits, including reduced inflammation and improved cholesterol levels.
- Studies reveal that cocoa is rich in flavanols, which lower blood pressure by improving nitric oxide levels and blood vessel function.
- Contains between 30–1,218 mg of flavanols can reduce blood pressure by an average of 2 mmHg.
- Improves blood flow and reduce cholesterol.
- Eating one serving of chocolate per day may reduce your risk of heart attack, heart failure and stroke.
- Flavanols in cocoa can support neuron production, brain function and improve blood flow and supply to brain tissue. They may prevent age-related brain degeneration, such as in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Flavanols in cocoa have been shown to have promising anti-cancer properties in test-tube and animal studies, but data from human trials is lacking.
- Cocoa may exert some positive effects on mood and symptoms of depression by reducing stress levels and improving calmness, contentment and overall psychological well-being.
- Dark chocolate may reduce your risk of diabetes and maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Cocoa products are associated with a lower weight, and the addition of cocoa to your diet may help achieve faster weight loss.
- Extract has demonstrated some anti-asthmatic properties in animal studies.
- Promotes healthy teeth by fighting bacteria that cause cavities, though this does not apply to sugar-containing products.
- It also promotes healthy skin by protecting it from sunlight and improving circulation, the skin surface and hydration.
We hope you enjoy this video and article on creating a healthy chocolate smoothie bowl.